Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Overtime and Overdue

A couple weeks ago I got thrown some new business at work. Interesting and fairly exciting stuff offering me a world of opportunity.

Allegedly.
(We throw the word "opportunity" around quite a bit and it mostly means "shining up a turd JUST FOR YOU" so excuse me if I don't leap at all "opportunities.")

And while this meant exposure to be my charming and lovely self to potential clients AND the partners of the agency, it also meant that the 4 days I set aside to move from a large 3 BR home to a much smaller 2 BR town home became about a day and half of sorta-packing-while-checking-email-and-going-to-meetings. I worked through the weekend before the move leaving my husband to take care of the packing. I traveled to the prospects location a few hours away with the "importants" and sat next to my CEO at dinner AND breakfast while the hubs picked up my dad, who flew in to help us pack and move. I planned packing around meetings. I gave up the last two days completely to sit in the office and do NOTHING because they wanted someone "on the ground." Too bad I didn't land any flights that day.

So today I decided..."Fuck it. I am taking two days off." Only I'm now all... *whistle whistle* What should I do?

Right now I am getting my car serviced. Check.
Later I am going to make my own pickles. Check
Before later I am going for a run on my favorite trail. Check.

......
......

Now what? I have thousands of things on the "to do" only I kinda don't want to do them. For instance, my hoarding-lite husband has a garage full of STUFF and I want it gone. We also can't find our wedding albums so...I should probably find those. Our house needs to be cleaned. Clearly I don't feel like doing that. Sigh.

OK... impromptu list of random stuff:

1) People have stupid ring tones. Also, they ring forever and ever before the owner notices it's their phone.
2) I get really excited when I see people reading the crappy novel series that I love. I immediately want to walk over and totally ruin the whole series for them by telling them what happens. I manage to suppress the urge.
3) Do people still watch soap operas? Because just hearing the dialogue kills me.
4) Why is blogger telling me that "dialogue" isn't a word? Stupid blogger.
5) Ooooh mojitos would be good right now.

5 comments:

Meredith McCardle said...

Um, how did I not know that you had a blog either??? And what is this crappy novel series?

A* said...

Oh you know I dabble :)

The series *sigh* the In Death series by J.D Robb a.k.a Nora Roberts.

Meredith McCardle said...

I should have known. You and your Nora Roberts. :)

A* said...

Hey I said it was crappy. But I love crappy! I grew up with crappy. I like to think of them as "cookie" books rather than "salad books."

Andrea said...

I love your definition of "opportunity"...i've been offered such a thing at my job, as well, very recently.